Earthquake Damage Assessments and Fault Studies
- Technical Reviewer, Calaveras fault study for Alameda Siphon 4, San Francisco Public Utility Commission
- Performed geological engineering reconnaissance of damage resulting from the October 15, 2006 M6.7 and M6.0 earthquakes on the Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
- Investigated claims from homeowners and owners of apartment buildings after 1989 Loma Prieta and 1994 Northridge earthquakes. Testified at arbitration hearings.
Ground Movement Investigations
- Investigated cracked and deformed floor slabs and associated alleged structural distress due to expansive/collapsible soils and earth fills at several wooden frame structures in California, Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii.
- Investigated alleged ground movements and geotechnical aspects of alleged structural distress related to leakage from ponds and swimming pool at a casino/hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Principal Investigator into the causes of the Sea Cliff Incident in San Francisco, in which a sinkhole that formed above underground excavation, contributed toward the failure of an overlying sewer. The resulting extensive and deep scour caused $30 million of property damage. I was the lead investigator for the City of San Francisco, and later it;s lead consultant during litigation. The subsequent complex lawsuit settled satisfactorily for the City. The story of the dramatic failure and investigation has been featured on several TV documentaries.
- Principal reviewer for investigation of extensive ground subsidence due to collapsible native soils and fill at a new oil refinery, Venezuela.
- Investigated ground surface settlement, distress to slabs-on-grades, sidewalks and other hardscape; and damage to stormwater pipes, at an entertainment arena, Southern California.
- Investigated alleged structural distress to several single-family residences in the San Francisco Bay Area due to expansive/collapsing soils, tree roots and other causes.
- Investigated ground subsidence and provided testimony in litigations related to collapses of storm water retention systems composed of buried HDPE chambers at sites in the New York area, Southern California and Guam.
- Investigated ground subsidence, failure of welded pipe protection around a sewer line, and damage to supporting pile caps beneath a high embankment in New Jersey.
- Investigated damage to sewer and associated subsidence and sinkholes at overlying ground surface above a major trunk sewer in Central Valley of Northern California.
- Investigated causes of sinkholes and effects on residential structures of sinkholes Florida karst limestones.